Tuesday, February 7, 2012

An Audition Note


Time and time again actors think that it’s okay to suddenly stop, in the middle of their audition, and say “I’m sorry, I have to start over.”  This is a Session Director’s or Casting Director’s pet peeve. If you were performing in front of an audience, would you suddenly stop and say “Damn, sorry, I screwed up. Let me start over.”  Nope, that wouldn’t go over too well.   Doing this is not fair to your fellow actors in the scene because maybe they had the best read of their life and won’t be able to repeat it.   Let us be the ones to stop you, ask for a retake, adjust for the mistake if we feel it is warranted.  Maybe the mistake was great.  Believe me, we want the best out of you during your time with us.  We are on your side and are giving notes to make you look good.   In addition, wait until your audition is finished to say stuff like “Oh f*#& that was the worst I’ve ever done,” or to scratch your bottom or do something odd after a take because we may still be rolling on that as well.  So basically, WE stop you, don’t stop yourself… just pick up the scene and try to finish it if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment